When the heart breaking news broke of the tragic school shooting last year, the Ty Loves NY morning show decided to ask the tri state their help in sending over our warmest wishes.
We got the idea from one of the victims, 6-year-old Emilie Parker, a very compassionate little girl, who would draw pictures for people when she thought they were sad. And so that is what we did: collected as many pictures from surrounding tri state schools, displaying messages of hope, love and compassion. 1,726 photos. That is the grand total of all the photos that you, the tri state, have donated to the memorial of Sandy Hook Elementary in Newtown, CT.
A lot has happened since the morning of December 14th. People have cried for gun control, and this week Senate heard testimony on a bill that would ban assault weapons, including the AR-15, the gun that was used at Sandy Hook Elementary School. One witness was Neil Heslin, a father who is still grieving from the death of his young son Jesse Lewis, who was shot “20 minutes after I dropped him off.”
The national debate over gun control has forever changed since the shootings in Newtown, CT., but it will take some time.
And speaking of taking some time..it’s taken a little bit of extra time to collect the photos from the tri state. 1,726 photos poured into the 92.3NOW studios and we at Ty Loves NY want to thank EVERY school, workplace and individual who has taken the time out of their busy schedules to help show the love and compassion to Newtown, CT.
–Bryan Carstensen, 92.3 NOW
Read More On 923NOW.com:
- Report: Beyonce And Jay-Z Expecting Second Child
- Candice Glover Crowned New ‘American Idol’ As Finale Ratings Hit All-Time Low
- All In The Name Of Beauty: Demi Lovato On the Pains Of Body Waxing
- Justin Bieber Owes Germany Thousands For Monkey Day Care
- What’s The Difference Between DJs And Turntablists? C2C Explain
- Dirty On The Dos: Rihanna’s $5Mil Court Battle, Lindsay’s Rehab Weight Gain & Beckham Retires!