With his current single “Troublemaker” blowing up the airwaves, we had to ask Olly Murs if he remembered the first time he heard his song on the radio. He did, of course, but it wasn’t what you’d call a happy story.
In fact, it has become a story Olly says he’ll be telling for the rest of his life.
“It was Christmas time in 2010 and I just had a car accident. I was alright. I was fine. Don’t panic,” he assured Radio.com.
Though he didn’t get badly injured, he did hurt his arm.
“I was traveling about 30 miles an hour down an icy road. I hit the central reservation [median], hit another car and a car hit me behind,” he recalled. “We moved the car to the side and get off the road as quick as we can so the traffic could come through.”
A celebrity in his own right, Olly was instantly recognized.
“The guy that I hit stopped and we started taking insurance details down. The guy recognized who I was and was like, ‘Hi, Olly!’ I was like, ‘Hi, nice to meet you.’”
Olly says he was nearly in tears over the events.
“He went to his car to get his pen and paper and as he opened the door my song just started [playing] on the radio at that time,” Olly said. “It was just really funny. If anything, it made me laugh. He laughed at me. I laughed. How embarrassing is that? I’ll never forget it. It was quite funny.”
Here’s to hoping the next time he hears his song on the radio it’s under better circumstances.
— Olly Murs (@ollyofficial) January 23, 2013
-Annie Reuter with reporting from Courtney Smith, Radio.com
Read More On 923NOW.com:
- Report: Beyonce And Jay-Z Expecting Second Child
- Candice Glover Crowned New ‘American Idol’ As Finale Ratings Hit All-Time Low
- All In The Name Of Beauty: Demi Lovato On the Pains Of Body Waxing
- Justin Bieber Owes Germany Thousands For Monkey Day Care
- What’s The Difference Between DJs And Turntablists? C2C Explain
- Dirty On The Dos: Rihanna’s $5Mil Court Battle, Lindsay’s Rehab Weight Gain & Beckham Retires!