The shoot took place last summer, when Miley brought her band together to perform some of her favorite songs in a casual outdoor setting.
It was probably pretty easy for Miley to get permission to record one of Dolly’s biggest hits, since Dolly happens to be Miley’s godmother.
The bandmembers on “Jolene” include drummer Stacy Jones, pianist Mike Schmid, guitarists Jamie Arentzen and Jaco Curaco, and bassist Vashon Johnson.
Miley has a gutsy voice that fits beautifully with strong country material like this. In additional Backyard Sessions songs, she also does a fantastic job covering the 1970 hit “Look What They’ve Done To My Song” by folksinger Melanie Safka, and the 1950 song “Lilac Wine,” which you might know thanks to a 1994 cover by Jeff Buckley.
The recording quality on all three videos is as strong as the song selection.
- Linda Lee, 99.5 WYCD/Detroit and Kurt Wolff, CBS Local
Read More On 923NOW.com:
- Eminem Drops Mixtape Track ‘Symphony In H’
- From Nas To TLC, J. Cole Breaks Down His Favorite ‘Born Sinner’ Songs
- Drinking Kanye West’s ‘Yeezus’ Haterade
- SHM’s Sebastian Ingrosso Stays Consistent With John Martin’s Help
- Demi Lovato Addresses Rehab Stint At Chicago Concert: ‘I’ve Gotten Through It And You Can Do It Too’
- Win Passes To “The Way Way Back” Screening