Getting up early seems to be a habit of mine – but this time I do it in the name of beating Cancer!
I joined the Leukemia Lymphoma Society three years ago and ran my first half marathon 13.1 miles at the Oakland Half in honor of my grandfather who has suffered Lymphoma since 2002, which is why joining Team in Training Brooklyn is my #3 most favorite thing about living in New York City!
While training with professional athletes all over Brooklyn (Prospect Park, Coney Island, Bay Ridge, Shore Road), my Endless Summer 2012 team has been training for the ING Half Marathon in Bermuda and Miami since September. Every team member has unfortunately been touched by cancer and shares their mission moment at every practice to inspire us to keep fundraising for LLS to end blood cancers!
Here are some of my favorite moments from Team in Training past and present!
Team in Training has changed my life. I have lost thirty pounds and challenged my body to do things its never done before like run a 14 minute mile for the first time ever and run my longest run ever 11 miles in three hours. I have made some amazing friends and will continue to run in honor of my grandfather.
If cancer has affected your life, join TeamInTraining.org or if you aren’t ready to train for a marathon, tri or century ride, then make a small donation and help me reach my goal as I continue to train for the ING Miami Half on January 27th!
Happy New Year!
-Micki Gamez, 92.3 NOW/NYC
Read More On 923NOW.com:
- Despite No New Music, One Direction Aims To Rule Summer With Book, 3-D Film & Tour
- DJ YONNY & Crew Pimp Out VH1′s Master Of The Mix Set
- Lala’s Mystery Booth Adventure: What “Items” Would You Be Embarrassed To Have Others See?
- Backstreet’s Back: Charli XCX Covers ‘I Want It That Way’
- Rihanna’s ‘Styled To Rock’ Inches Closer Toward U.S. Premiere
- Dirty On The Dos: Farrah Abraham’s Reality Show, Anthony Weiner’s Mayor Bid & More!