“The song I was featured in – eight years ago – was part of a deeply emotional reaction to the war in Iraq and the killing of two Korean schoolgirls that was part of the overall antiwar sentiment shared by others around the world at that time. While I’m grateful for the freedom to express one’s self, I’ve learned there are limits to what language is appropriate and I’m deeply sorry for how these lyrics could be interpreted. I will forever be sorry for any pain I have caused by those words,” he said.
While an overwhelming amount of Americans expressed their disgust (over 63% said they wouldn’t accept his apology in our poll), President Obama kept his offer for the “Gangnam Style” rapper to perform at his Christmas In Washington special this past weekend. In fact, a petition to rescind his invitation has since been removed and his performance went on as scheduled.
On Sunday, PSY took the stage in a red sequined sweater and after singing about the holidays broke into “Oppa Christmas style.” The Washington Post attended the show and chatted with PSY before the show about his previous remarks.
“If it’s gonna hurt my career or not, that’s not important,” Psy said. “The most important thing is that as a human being, I really, fully regret the using of [those] kinds of words.”
- SEE ALSO: PSY Apologizes For Anti-American Song
- SEE ALSO: PSY’s Anti-American Rant Causes Stir
- SEE ALSO: PSY Explains What It Means To Go “Gangnam Style”
He went on to explain how his country was suffering and he felt it was his duty to address.
“There was huge sorrow all over the country,” Psy said. “Explain and express about the sorrow . . . I thought that’s kind of part of my job . . . But the specific words that I used, it was too much.”
Christmas In Washington will air on TNT Friday, December 21.
-Annie Reuter, CBS Local
Read More On 923NOW.com:
- Justin Timberlake, Taylor Swift, Coldplay, U2 & Jared Leto Up For Golden Globes
- Kelly Clarkson to Appear on TVs’ ‘Nashville’
- Dirty On The Dos: Kanye’s GRAMMYs Rant, 50 Shades Goes Full Frontal & Mariah Cracks!
- Breakfast With Bryan: It’s Food Porn, But With A Twist! Nancy’s Pop Tart
- Austin Mahone Drops Dancetastic Video for ‘Banga! Banga!’
- GRAMMY Gourmet: Josh Homme On His Kinship With Anthony Bourdain