According to Forbes’ Electronic Cash Kings list, the mou5-headed DJ/producer is pulling in an annual income of a cool $11.5 million while CelebrityNetWorth recently ranked him at #18, banking an even more impressive $12 million on their World’s Richest DJs list.
But according to the Canadian-born dance music producer, his yearly haul is nowhere near the double-digit numbers bandied about by the bean counters.
During an interview at Billboard’s FutureSound Conference, Joel Zimmerman (aka Deadmau5) disputed the Forbes report. He began by issuing a warning that calculating gross ticket and album sales can be very misleading, since the artist only takes home a fraction. “We all know that with bands and musicians and artists, nobody gets gross. If we got gross we’d all own countries,” joked Zimmerman.
So just how much money does Zimmerman make annually?
“After I saw the article, I called my manager and said, ‘Yo, what the f—? I’m $9 million short, dude. We gotta talk!” “If we go through our figures, nobody is making that kind of money.” emphasized Zimmerman.
With simple subtraction one can deduct that Zimmerman rakes in somewhere in the neighborhood of $2.5 million, which sounds surprisingly small considering the endless stacks of licensed Mau5head merchandise lining retails shelves in malls across the country.
– Jay Tilles, CBS Local
Read More On 923NOW.com:
- Tell Us Your Best Holiday Party Story And Win $500
- Remembering Nelson Mandela: Music Community Mourns
- Diplo’s Got A New Holiday Compilation, ‘A Very Decent Christmas’
- New Music To Know: Sevyn Streeter Proves She’s More Than Just a Hit Songwriter on Debut EP
- Advertising Agency Trolls Internet with Video Featuring Kids Reciting Explicit Rap Lyrics
- Pharrell Says He’s Going ‘Rap-Free’ For New Solo Album