Are One Direction Less Than Half As Good As Taylor Swift?
If record sales are any indication, that’s what they’d be saying. The guys of One Direction managed to nab the #1 sales spot in the country this week, moving over 540,000 copies of their sophomore album Take Me Home and earning themselves the third highest debut of the year along with gold status in just one week.
It’s not bad placement for the guys at all and they’ll see a continued spike when Black Friday hits this week, especially from the special edition of their album being sold at Target with five bonus tracks — and their feature in Target’s current holiday commercial campaign.
But the highest debut of 2012 stays with Taylor Swift. Her album Red sold 1.2 million in it’s first week. That makes it not only the highest selling debut of this year, but the highest since 2002. And it means the difference of 660,000 units between Taylor and One Direction’s first weeks is actually more than the boy band managed to sell out of the gate.
-Courtney E. Smith, CBS Local
Read More On 923NOW.com:
- Siva Kaneswaran of The Wanted Breaks Off To Explore His Own Goals
- Imagine Dragons’ Dan Reynolds Garnering Songwriters Hall of Fame Honor
- Zann’s 11 Signs You’ve Gone From A Girl To Woman
- Jhené Aiko Keys Her Former Man’s Car in ‘Comfort Inn Ending’ Video
- Stream Future’s New Album, ‘Honest,’ In Full Now
- 50 Cent Gets All Dressed Up in ‘Hustler’ Video