Obama Bonds With Jay-Z At Fundraiser: “Our Wives Are More Popular Than Us”
The dinner was a $40k per plate affair and took place at the new 40/40 Club in Manhattan.
As reported by the New York Times, Obama was introduced by Beyonce.
“I can’t tell you how proud we are to host tonight’s event with President Obama,” Beyonce said. “We believe in his vision.”
When the president addressed the attendees, he made a point to highlight the similarities he shares with Jay-Z.
“Jay knows what my life is like,” he said. “We both have daughters and our wives are more popular than we are.”
He went on to outline the importance of the night’s donations to his campaign.
“These people have super PAC’s that are writing $10 million checks and are going to bury us under advertising like you’ve never seen before,” he said. “We can’t match these people dollar for dollar.”
Beyonce and Jay-Z have been heavy supporters of the Obamas. On Labor Day weekend, President Obama crashed Jay-Z’s set at the Made In America festival to implore the young crowd to register and vote.
Beyonce, who sang at the 2009 inauguration, also supported the First Lady’s “Let’s Move!” campaign with a remix to her “Get Me Bodied” song (to “Move Your Body”).
–Erik Parker, CBS Local
Read More On 923NOW.com:
- Kanye West Deems His Recent Jewish Comment an ‘Ignorant Compliment’
- Justin Bieber Teams Up with Tyga in ‘Wait For a Minute’ Video
- Interview: Lorde Wins Rookie of the Year — And Blows Away the Competition
- Vote For 92.3 NOW’s DJ Toro at the 2014 Winter Music Conference
- Imagine Dragons, Kendrick Lamar, P!nk, Nate Ruess to Perform at 2014 GRAMMY Awards
- Daft Punk To Perform at 2014 GRAMMY Awards