R. Kelly Sings Tax Blues, Owes Uncle Sam $4.8 Million
R&B big timer R. Kelly is the latest celebrity to get a call from Uncle Sam over unpaid taxes. The “I Believe I Can Fly” singer joins YMCMB general Lil Wayne and Grammy-winning vocalist Lauryn Hill in the IRS doghouse for reportedly owing close to $5 million in taxes dating back to 2005.
“R. Kelly is in the process of working everything out with the government and is confident that all his obligations will be satisfied,” a spokesperson for the singer said in a statement.
In early 2011, Lil Wayne was hit with a mammoth tax lien worth $5. 6 million. Lauryn Hill was charged with three counts of willfully failing to file income tax returns totaling $1.8 million. The former Fugees vocalist wrote a statement in which she claimed she was innocent of all charges.
Kelly is set to release his new album Write Me Back on June 26th.
—Keith Murphy, CBS Local
Read More On 923NOW.com:
- Interview: Sky Ferreira On Why Men Just Don’t Get It
- One Direction Working with Good Charlotte, Kodaline on Upcoming Album
- Watch the Phone: Jay Z & Kanye to Perform Together at SXSW
- Dirty On The Dos: Bieber Dedicates SXSW To Selena & Zac Efron Wants Another High School Musical!
- Stream Skrillex’s Debut Album ‘Recess’
- Lana Del Rey Announces 2014 North American Tour