What’s Happening In NYC This Weekend, May 26-28th?
It’s Memorial Day weekend in the Big Apple. That means sailors! Lot’s of sailors. Also, most of us have Monday off. There are plenty of sights to see and places to be in the big city this weekend.
Here’s whats happening around town this long Memorial Day weekend…
Movies Opening This Weekend:
- Men in Black 3 – Agents J (Will Smith) and K (Tommy Lee Jones) are back… in time!
- Chernobyl Diaries – An original story from Oren Peli, who first terrified audiences with his groundbreaking thriller, Paranormal Activity.
- Moonrise Kingdom – Set on an island off the coast of New England in the summer of 1965, Moonrise Kingdom tells the story of two twelve-year-olds who fall in love, make a secret pact, and run away together into the wilderness. With Bill Murray, Bruce Willis.
Fleet Week NYC
It’s Fleet Week in NYC this week. Take in some sailorific sights, special military demos and tour some of the ships docked in NY Harbor, Brooklyn and Staten Island! Also, the Empire State Building is lit up in Red, White and Blue for Memorial Day Weekend & Fleet Week!
You can visit the ships starting tomorrow through next Tuesday from 8 am to 5 pm at the following locations:
- In Manhattan you can see the ships at Piers 90 and 92
- In Staten Island you can visit the Home Port Pier in Stapleton
- In Brooklyn, you should head over to Piers 7 and 8
Check out this list of events and be sure to check back for links, photos, videos and more of Fleet Week 2012! Hoorah!
Bethpage Air Show
The annual Bethpage Air Show at Jones Beach State Park on Long Island is Saturday and Sunday, 10-3 both days. The US Navy Blue Angels are back; also participating: the Canadian Forces Snowbird Demonstration Team, US Army Golden Knights Parachute Team, plus a NY Air National Guard Rescue Demonstration and more. Admission is free with a $10 vehicle usage fee.
Parades, Parades, Parades!
On Memorial Day, NYC honors our fallen heroes with parades all over the City. The Little Neck–Douglaston parade in Queens is reputedly the largest of its kind. You can also attend Brooklyn’s Memorial Day Parade (145 years old!), which begins at Third Avenue and 87th Street. In Manhattan, head uptown for a smaller parade in Inwood that begins at Broadway and Dyckman Street. And in Brooklyn, the Parade kicks off at 11am on Third Ave. & 89th St. and goes along 3rd to Marine Ave. up to 4th Ave. and over to 101st Street at John Paul Jones Park. Ceremony immediately following the parade.
One Direction In Concert!
On Saturday, One Direction is in concert at the Beacon Theatre. It’s their first-ever headlining North America tour, with two shows – at 3 and 8pm.
Mmmmm… Food Trucks!
The Food Trucks are back for the Grand Army Plaza Food Truck Rally on Sunday – it’s a chance to sample treats from New York’s best food trucks.
“Music in Motion”
Bargemusic present a free neighborhood family concert: “Music in Motion” Saturday afternoon at 3 – a one hour performance, including a Q&A session with the musicians. Find out who’s performing when you get there.
Washington Square Outdoor Art Exhibit
Now in it’s 82nd year, the Washington Square Outdoor Art Exhibit happens twice-a-year every Memorial Day Weekend (and the following weekend) and every Labor Day Weekend (and the following weekend). The event showcases fine artists and craft artisans from around the New York metropolitan area, the nation and the world. Attendees come from all over and are a cosmopolitan mix, including art lovers, tourists, faculty and students from the area’s many schools and professionals such as interior designers. The Exhibit is open Saturday, Sunday and Monday noon-6.
NYC Public Beaches Open for the Season
This is the weekend New York City public beaches open for the season… It’s also opening weekend for Governor’s Island, with major changes in store for this year, including no access on Fridays to allow for major construction projects. To make up for the loss of Fridays, the island will stay open later on Saturdays in June and the access on holiday Mondays will feature free bicycle rentals. Things get underway with the 5 Boro PicNYC: a 2-day-only celebration of craft beer, gourmet eats, and live tunes Saturday and Sunday – including free ferry rides between Governors Island and Manhattan or Brooklyn (with or without your bicycles!), free kid’s admission with paying adult, and other great family-oriented stuff! There’s also a site-specific play celebrating female soldiers of the Civil War – it’s called Ameila and it plays until June 17th at Fort Jay. Admission is free but you do need to make reservations.
NY Philharmonic’s Free Annual Memorial Day Concert
On Monday, Alan Gilbert Conducts the NY Philharmonic’s Free Annual Memorial Day Concert at 8 p.m. at The Cathedral Church of Saint John the Divine.
And in Sports, the Mets have home games at Citifield vs. the Padres at 1:05 Saturday, Sunday and Monday.
–Producer Craig & Joe Cingrana, CBS Local
Read More On 923NOW.com:
- Pharrell and United Nations Foundation Team Up for International Day of Happiness 2014
- Ke$ha Is Feeling Better and Ready to Make Music
- Musicians + Sports: American Authors on Baseball, the Red Sox and Kanye West’s Aquatic Calling
- Swingers Anonymous: Ty Bentli Was Invited To A Swingers Party! Will He Go?
- Steve Aoki ‘Cakes’ Dog Whisperer Cesar Millan After Emergency Pooch Training
- Love Expert Rachel DeAlto’s Advice: How To Find The Love Of Your Life!