In her first video from Roman Reloaded, for “Beez In The Trap,” Nicki Minaj perfects the art of visual implication. She hints at being a boss behind her icy stare. She hints at being untouchable from behind a wall of barbed wire fencing. She hints at sapphic tendencies in the club with a group of well-endowed and sparsely clothed ladies. She more than hints at having assets to compete with Kim Kardashian from inside a tiger-print lycra body suit. And, lest you forget, she hints at how deeply weird she can be from underneath a green wig.
“Beez In The Trap” is not one of Nicki’s most pop-friendly songs — you’ll get that later when she drops her video for “Starships.” It’s a sparse production, diss track geared towards showing off her flow as an MC and the lyrics she chooses speak for themselves. With lines like, “a hundred motherf****** can’t tell me nothin’,” you know Nicki isn’t lacking in self-esteem.
This colorful video was directed by Benny Boom and was shot in Miami — reportedly at a strip club. Boom was the director behind Akon’s “Smack That,” Ciara’s “Goodies,” and R. Kelly’s “I’m A Flirt (Remix).”
-Courtney E. Smith, CBS Local
Read More On 923NOW.com:
- GRAMMY Nominations Behind the Scenes: Lorde Takes a Bow, Arsenio Fires Back at Kanye
- And the GRAMMY Nominees Are: Macklemore & Ryan Lewis, Jay Z, Kendrick Lamar and Justin Timberlake
- GRAMMY Nominees 2014: The Full List
- John Mayer Talks New Single ‘Who You Love’ and ‘That Photo’ with Katy Perry
- Kendrick Lamar & Dr. Dre Preview New Song in Commercial
- R. Kelly Honors Nelson Mandela on ‘Arsenio Hall Show’