How To Dress Like Nicki Minaj For Halloween
Who would have thought neon pom-poms could create an outfit worthy of presenting itself at Paris Fashion Week? Nicki Minaj challenged the fashion law once again with a volcanic eruption of neon. Think eighties meets retro space-cadet. Somehow “Total Recall” comes to mind? Check out Five easy steps to creating this fit which is sure to be a hit this Halloween.
First Step: Pom Pom shirt/tunic
A perfect opportunity to clean out your closet and refresh your wardrobe for the new season. Dig out any tanks and/or tunics that you don’t mind engulfing with fuzzy pompoms. And begin initiation with the time and money saver also known as the hot glue gun.
- Elmer Glue gun-$4.00-$40.00 (depending on quality)
- Package of multicolored pompom’s-$1.00-$6.00
Second Step: Cover your assets with Pom Poms and get crafty with the rest
If a plain tunic is accessible, pompom it like there is no tomorrow. This way, one does not have to look for a pleated school girl skirt and self-neon it. Either way the outfit will be complete if the pompoms are as dominant as possible. If radical neon fabric is found, wrap around the waist and fold like a fan all the way around and hot glue to hold each fold in place. This will create the pleated tennis look that is displayed in Minaj’s outfit above. See photo.
- Plain tunic- $5.00-$15.00 Target, Forever 21, etc.
- Pleated tennis skirt- D.I.Y. with neon fabric
- Purchase skirt–$7.99-$100.00
Third Step: Neon netted tights/leggings
Ripping tights on your own with a seam ripper then pulling to expand to web-like holes creates a cool visual effect, shows some skin, and keeps the Halloween spirit in mind, by practically wearing neon spiderwebs on your legs!
- Neon fishnet tights-$8.00 at Hot Topic and elsewhere
Fourth Step: The Towering Up-do & Make Up
To re-create this vertically directed hairstyle, one must defy the laws of gravity-Or buy a killer wig and spare the trouble! If you’re all about creating the masterpiece yourself, Use a 1 1/2 inch curler and wrap hair around the curler in tightly wound curls, then mount up into victory-like rolls starting from the front, proceeding to the back bringing the longer pieces of hair to propel to the top of the cone-shaped hive of curls. Hairspray will be your new best friend for this courageous cosmetologic leap. Don’t forget an infinite amount of bobby pins!
- Conair 1 1/2 inch curl iron- $16.00-$30.00
- Wig- $15.00-$20.00
And don’t forget to do some seriously outrageous and colorful make up as well! Here is a tutorial on how to do a Nicki Minaj inspired look:
Final Step: The rockin platform Mary Jane’s
Though this is the part of the outfit that will be the most difficult to replicate exactly, it leaves room for experimentation. As Jeffrey Campell platforms have officially welcomed themselves into the fashion of this generation, they would be an easy pair with this wacky neon concoction. Thrift Stores such as Iguana Vintage, American Vintage etc have rockabilly “kicks” to choose from which would also spruce up the final element of the outfit.
- Secondhand store platforms- $10.00-$50.00
- Jeffrey Campbel Copies- $25.00-$59.00
Alright, you are all set! The last thing you need is a fierce attitude with a side of total sweetness (Nicki mixed with Roman) and you are done!
Want more Halloween costume ideas? Check out our other posts:
- How To Dress Like LMFAO For Halloween
- How To Dress Like Kathy Beth Terry from Katy Perry’s Last Friday Night Video
Read More On 923NOW.com:
- Today’s Dirt: Lupita Nyong’o ‘Most Beautiful’ Controversy & Chris Brown’s Extended Jail Time!
- Ryan Lewis, Mother Talk Her Battle with HIV, New 30/30 Project
- Watch Coldplay Debut New Song ‘Oceans’
- Meet Braxton, Britney Spears’ Biggest Fan
- Cutest Baby Award Goes to John Legend Look-alike
- Watch Pharrell’s Fantasy Video for ‘Marilyn Monroe’